Thursday, June 27, 2013

Coming Home: Again


Don’t you think it’s amazing that Rick Perry has nothing better to do than call the Texas legislature back so he could still abolish abortion. OK, maybe amazing isn’t the right word. Maybe idiocy works better.  Or maybe, the question is better asked by saying, don’t you think that horse’s ass, the Governor of Texas….  It is unbelievable that,  after the Senators heroic filibuster to prevent the passage of that legislation, anyone but a moron, would still forge ahead.  Who says there is no war on women?  Whether it is managed by the government, by the military, or by a general population of the men who actually don’t know better, there is an ongoing war against women.  But that’s not what I wanted to blob about.

David was invited to be the narrator of a terrifying Photography in War, exhibit at the Corcoran Museum.  It is not to be missed if you are in the area. And it should be a must for every member of Congress, because it does not whitewash the consequences of war.
But that’s not what I wanted to blob about either.  Anyway, as long as David was going, I decided to see my dentist. (As I was due for a check-up).  People think I’m nuts to still have a dentist in DC.  But Brad has been my dentist for over 30 years and he has promised me he won’t  retire until after I’m dead.  (This is part of the, “can you go home again,” blob, but only a part, because it’s not easy to find a good dentist, and I consider his office, part of my home away from home – in terms of overall health care.) 

It is always my intention to spend as much time as I can visiting with friends.  People who live in DC, always ask if I miss it.  No, I don’t miss Washington and all that means, but I sure miss my friends.  We managed to see Jane for dinner, the ageless Sara Ehrman for a drink, Mary, Jim and Dennis, at the Corcoran, and today I met with Marthena, Rick, and Ann at the State Department.  Which led to a conversation about “taking” a meeting.  I couldn’t remember if you “take” a meeting in the government, the theater, or  television/movies.  (Any help answering this question would be greatly appreciated.) Then, as I was walking back to the hotel, I stopped at the bank and saw Katherine, who lost her husband recently and we hadn’t been in proper touch.

With hope that I would see other friends, I texted, emailed, and called everyone who I thought might be available.  (Oh, one of the special things that happened, was that we rediscovered the old “Match Game” with the ever amusing Gene Rayburn on the Game Show network. That was a big part of going home for us, because when we lived in Va. we watched it everyday at about 3am.)
Moving on…   Is it possible to go home again?  If you work hard to keep your friendships with people you leave behind, alive and contemporary. Yes it is.   Because I think friendships, make a place a home. 

We live in a world where you easily keep in touch through many different kinds of communication. And does all the available technology keep your friendships ongoing?  No. While it simplifies the ability to communicate, you actually need for whatever friends you want to keep in your life, to understand that you want them in your life.  The communication can be surface or superficial, or it can be meaningful and add to your life.  There is no right or wrong, but if your relationship is deep and rewarding, then you won’t need to go home.  You are already there.  We're just sayin'... Iris

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand the concept of the American Dream. I feel that I've lived it.

Matt