Friday, June 14, 2013

Movin' On


It occurred to me yesterday when I was driving somewhere and back, our entire lives are spent moving on.  For example, when we were kids, our mother prepared our breakfast, usually not lunch – unless you were my mother who left those wondrous tasks to Helen Costello, her housekeeper and our, for lack of a better description, our savior. 

Breakfast was usually some kind of hot cereal, which she cooked and cooked and cooked.  Here’s the good news, hot cereal doesn’t dry out (you have to keep adding water), it gets better. (Editor’s note: it was Fantastic!) But most of us moved on. Moved on from those days with morning time before school. There’s never enough time.  If we have cereal, it’s usually cold or instant.  No one would sit and wait for my mother’s hot cereal—it took forever.  Well worth the wait, but no we’re always in a hurry.

When we were in high school, we studied things that today would seem totally irrelevant.  But our social lives were worth remembering.  There was so much drama, and so much fun. The music, the heartbreaks, the dances, (where Howie Hubler and Kenny Kida were the only boys who danced), the elections and the selections . All worth noting, but we moved on.   There’s no time or interest in high school adventures, for most people.

Yesterday, (this has nothing to do with anything—or maybe it does), I went to Costco to pick up a few things among which were new dimmable LED lights.  When David saw them he said, “well they should last for a few years,” and I said, “On the package it says 22 years,” And he said, “But how will we know.” It’s something to think about.  But moving on…

Sometimes we move on from a mode of transportation, sometimes it’s a food, often, it’s a place where we lived or a place we enjoyed dining.  Life changes and it’s necessary to move on.

People have jobs that we thought might be forever, (not me, I have never had an actual go to work from 8-6,  get a paycheck and have weekends free kind of jot that lasted for more than 4 years). But a lot of people have jobs that they thought would be forever, and then the economy changed, tastes changed, technology changed, they got old or bored, and they moved on.  Do they keep in touch with people they left behind?  I really don’t know the answer to that question unless a number of people they knew went with them. David never moves on when to comes to people.  Even my people.  A few years ago he called my third grade boyfriend who lives in Denmark.  But he still calls friends he had in grade school who he hasn’t heard from in 50 years. I try never to disconnect from people who I loved, even in grade school. But here’s the problem with me.  There are so many dear people that are still in my life, it is really crowded.  So I have to move on from people who are not nice, or that I don’t care about.  There was a time when I wouldn’t move on because there was a history. Rule of thumb, if you can only talk about the past and have nothing in common for the future,  you must move on.

In fact, the only thing that you can never move on from are the people who are precious to us. It doesn’t matter if they are alive or dead.  They are always a permanent part of your life.   We’re just sayin’…. Iris

No comments: